Thursday, February 28, 2008

That's No Moon...It's a Water Tower (Current Event 3)

I get pretty excited about space exploration and the thought of colonizing celestial bodies, so I think the search for water on the moon is a great project. Nonetheless, I recognize that there are those who disagree, and I wonder if the environmentalists will be joining their numbers. This article discusses a continuation of NASA's search for water by means of smashing the crust of the moon at points, and some reactions seem to indicate that there are concerns about the destructive nature of this probe. It raises interesting questions as to the scope of our stewardship; I believe most would agree that we need to use the Earth's resources responsibly (though I believe the environmentalists tend to go to extremes), but does that change as we are able to influence other parts of our solar system? I personally believe we should exploit the resources of the solar system as we are able for the benefit of mankind, but I am certain there will be opposition (not entirely unfounded) to that idea.

Article

No comments: