Thursday, February 7, 2008

Weiter, immer weiter (Smallish Post 4)

The proliferation of genealogical research and the technology to expede its progress since 1836 is amazing and makes me wonder what will happen next. I have noticed a movement in the Church to reach out specifically to the German people: my first trip to Germany I took with my father for the purpose of advancing our genealogy, but since then the Church has microfilmed hundreds of medieval German church records, allowing us to extend lines further without the need to find ways to travel to Germany often. For the living, the Church has established Outreach Centers, where senior missionaries provide a haven for young single adults in Germany. This program allows youth to gather in a place where they can have fun and also seek advice on dealing with life's problems and on the Gospel. Finally, the new First Presidency includes, for the first time that I am aware, a native German, Elder Dieter Uchtdorf, who has always been an advocate for his Heimatland. All these things together make me very excited to see what will happen in Germany. I only hope that I can be a part of it.

1 comment:

DVX said...

"Expede" is a word that died about 200 years ago - I use it intentionally because I want to resurrect it. It is the opposite of "impede" and feels a lot less contrived than the odd "expedite" which it was turned into.